I have a short safari trip coming up and honestly am still obsessing on what to pack. Considering it will be just for 2 nights/ 3 days… I might as well pack the whole house as I can’t make up my mind. 😦
If you are like me ,here is a little guide I use for such trips :
- Unless you are going on safari alone..avoid using hard -shell suitcases as it will be only be a hindrance in the vehicle or light air craft where the size, shape and rigidity of the suitcase will not work. Opt for a hardy,lockable soft-sided bag or a duffel bag.
- A good camera and binoculars (dont forget the charger for the camera)….extra camera batteries if you can
- A wide brimmed hat to shade you from the sun and sunglasses
- Sun screen lotion with high protection factor
- A light jacket for chilly mornings and evenings
- The trip can be quite bumpy therefore ladies ….a good bra
- Avoid packing bright coloured clothes…..you wouldnt want to be targeted by the animals in your neon pink top would you? The best colours are the safari classics: olive, green and khaki.
- Swimming costume and flip flops if you will be staying in a hotel with pool
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Flash light
- Scarf especially in dusty season
- Mosquito repellant
- Dont forget to pack your tooth paste,tooth brush, comb, toilet roll ,deodorant etc. I carry my own soap as I hate those mini soap bars in hotels.
- Wet wipes
- Bottled water
- Most safari vehicles have a basic first aid kit but you can always carry pain killers. anti-histamines for allergies , eye drops in dusty areas .
Those are the basic essentials for the trip.
Wishing you a lovely week ahead.